2019 10-4 Sept Heritage

COBOURG CAR BARN:

110 Cobourg Street

Extract/Extrait:  Walking Guide for Macdonald Gardens Park Heritage Designation/ 2017 Guide du parcours piétonnier du  Désignation patrimoniale du Parc Macdonald Gardens (French version follows)

Built in two sections, (1908 and 1913), the final brick structure had ten tracks, each with service pits that ran the full length of the building. Nearby residents often heard bells and grating metal as the streetcars backed into the barn after a busy day of driving passengers.

The Route The streetcars arriving and leaving the barn ran along Cobourg Street. When leaving, the cars would always turn right and make their way towards Rideau Street. To return, the cars would proceed from St. Patrick Street, turning onto the north end of Cobourg. At the barn, helpers would assist operators to navigate their streetcars onto the assigned tracks.

The End In 1948, the Ottawa Electric Railway was sold to the city and became part of the Ottawa Transportation Commission. Streetcars were gradually phased out of use and on May 1, 1959, the last car to run from Britannia backed into the Cobourg Barn. After some debate, the Cobourg Car Barn was finally demolished and replaced in 1965 by Macdonald Manor, which provided affordable housing for seniors.

Le garage de tramways 110 Cobourg

Construit en deux sections, (1908 et 1913), la dernière version de la structure en brique avait dix voies ferrées, chacune ayant une espace de travail pour l’entretien sur toute la longueur de l’édifice. Les gens qui demeuraient près du garage entendaient souvent des bruits de cloches et des grincements métalliques alors que les tramways reculaient dans le garage après une longue journée à transporter des passagers.

Le parcours Les tramways arrivaient et quittaient le garage sur des rails sur la rue Cobourg. Au départ le matin, les tramways tournaient toujours à droite pour aller vers la rue Rideau. Au retour, les tramways passaient par la rue Saint Patrick pour tourner au coin nord de la rue Cobourg. Lorsque les tramways arrivaient au garage, des préposés aidaient les opérateurs à reculer les tramways sur les voies ferrées à l’intérieur qui leur étaient assignées.

La fin En 1948, la compagnie (Ottawa Electric Railway) a été vendue à la ville et faisait maintenant partie de la Ottawa Transportation Commission. Les tramways ont été retirés du service de façon graduelle et le 1er mai, 1959, le dernier tramway à faire le trajet de Britannia a reculé dans le garage de la rue Cobourg. Après quelques débats, le garage de tramways de la rue Cobourg a finalement été démoli et a été remplacé en 1965 par le Macdonald Manor, un logement à prix abordable pour les aînés.